CELEBRITY | PUBLICITY | EXPERIENTIAL | DIGITAL | STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS|
SOCIAL MEDIA | SAMPLING | EVENTS
To achieve Twinings' vision of market leadership in a mature declining category. The campaign needed to highlight Twinings' history of producing premium teas, be PR able, scalable, engage tea drinkers and non-tea drinkers, and achieve the brand vision.
BIG IDEA AND CAMPAIGN THOUGHT
We wanted Australians to feel ownership of the brand, to ignite passion for tea and create huge talkability with a sustainable, newsworthy campaign.
In its 300-year history, Twinings have produced English, Irish Breakfast and Russian Caravan teas, but never an Australian blend.
- 130 iconic Australians were challenged to create a uniquely Australian tea
- Celebrity tea blending classes with Twinings’ Master Tea Blender, Michael Wright
- Tea blends sent to England for judging by Stephen Twining.
- Finalists: Alan Jones, Kevin Rudd, Kerrie Anne Kennerly, John Williamson and Layne Beachley. 85,000 Australians voted.
- Celebrities utilised their own social media and media audiences to drive votes
- Pop-up voting booths Good Food and Wine Shows across Australia.
- Design students competed to design compelling packaging.
- Strategic partnerships with charities aligned with each of the celebrities to promote the competition. Every Daily Telegraph reader received a tea bag on Australia Day.
Twinings' market penetration increased from 23.7% to 30.1% – the first time that it has topped 25% in Australia.
Liptons and Tetley sales declined during the same period.
The audience reach up to September was over 118 million, 1209 pieces of coverage across traditional, online and social media. More than 85,000 Australians voted online. The client achieved a ROI of 68:1.
WHAT THE CLIENT SAID.
“AC Agency has delivered well beyond our expectations. They came to us with a big idea that has placed Twinings in a great position to build on current growth, both in penetration into Australian households as well as market share. AC Agency came up with the concept and core strategy and worked closely with us to lead agency teams (Mitchell & Partners, e-mitch and We are Digital) to shape and implement the broader Twinings Australian Afternoon Tea Challenge campaign – there is no doubt this has been an incomparable success. Both sales and consumer feedback on the new blend have already been very impressive. Undoubtedly without the amazing work from Ro Markson and her team, we wouldn’t have what we believe is by far, the most interactive, engaging and exciting campaign in tea, and for the Twinings brand.”
GAVIN VANDELIGT, MARKETING MANAGER, TWININGS AUSTRALIA